Saturday, February 8, 2014

Snow Updates for 2/8/2014

Saturday, February 8, 2014

This will be my page for snow updates for the night.

6:49 p.m.: currently lightly snowing in the U District with temperatures around freezing. Surprisingly, it actually is sticking on some cars and even some sections of black pavement. Some feature looks to have developed off of the system coming in and is spreading more snow northward than previously thought.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/weather/radar.shtml

I'm definitely upping my predictions - I'm gonna go out on a limb and call for widespread amounts of an inch or 'snow' in the Seattle metropolitan area, with less north and more south. And that could be conservative. This is not something I expected, but I don't know if it is something the weather service expected.

8:46 p.m.: I've been eating dinner with my folks and others, so I apologize for the lack of frequent updates. My initial hunch that the south sound would get more forecast turned out to be correct, as Tacoma, which was under nothing and then under a snow advisory, is now under a WINTER STORM WARNING. Pretty impressive. I am using a different computer right now and I don't have screen-capture software on here, so I'll put up KOMO's radar, as the loop is actually composed of .jpg files that I can individually save and upload here.


As you can see, the snow has spread northward and is starting to come to an end on the coast. I'd say we have around an hour of steady snow left for Seattle, and then we'll turn to more scattered stuff.

Oh yeah. The dewpoint, which was near 20, is near 30, and the temperature, which was 42 this afternoon, is now 32. That's the power of evaporative cooling.

I'm upping my snow predictions for Seattle once again. Widespread amounts of 1-2.5 inches amongst the city, with lower amounts by the water and higher amounts on the hills are what I believe are in store for us for the remainder of the evening.

Charlie

9:04 p.m.

UPDATE: SEATTLE HAS A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY UNTIL 4 A.M.!!! The NWS says the snow will taper off after midnight. NWS calls for 1-3 inches of snow.

1 comment:

  1. Is this what last night's 9pm AFD talked about? By the way, thank you for your posts. When the weather is supposed to get interesting, you do a great job.

    ReplyDelete