Sunday, February 23, 2014

Snow? No.

Saturday, February 22, 2014
11:21 p.m.

Well, at least not for Seattle.

The latest model runs have all been more aggressive with scouring the cold air that we have in place out and leaving the rain-snow line further north. Whatcom County looks to receive the biggest blow from this event, and Bellingham is currently under a winter storm warning until 6 a.m. Monday for 3-7 inches of new snow. That's quite a bit of the white stuff, and Western students will likely get a day off on Monday.


Valid 04:00 pm PST, Sun 23 Feb 2014 - 24hr Fcst:   http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/wxloop.cgi?mm5d3_wa_snow24+///3

As the latest UW WRF-GFS model shows, Seattle won't get a single snowflake. This was what I thought was going to happen... temperatures were right on the edge in the models, and the models were trending warmer. If you want to see lowland snow, you will have to head north.

After this event, our temperatures warm up to the low 50s, much too warm for snow in the near future. The newest WRF-GFS model run came with an interesting twist though and brought some cooler air down next weekend, bringing some snow to the area. Of course, this is so far in the future that it is hardly worth mentioning, but it does provide the consolation we need after this snow event, which had been modeled so steadfastly by the GFS, is failing to materialize in the Seattle area.
______________________________________________________________

I went to Danielle's vigil service last night and her funeral today, and I wanted to express my deepest thank yous to my friends for being there with me. King Lau and Christine Palpallatoc, you both gave fantastic speeches. 

And I cannot thank Sarah Antoncich, my high school Japanese teacher, enough for, first of all, giving me a ride back to campus, but second and more importantly, being somebody I could feel comfortable talking to in this time of deep pain, even if only for a short time. You are a fantastic communicator, both inside and outside the classroom.

Danielle Maria Que Guloy: 12/8/92 - 2/14/14. I was going to type "you were amazing," but then I realized how much of you lives in other people, and it's obvious that your influence is still with us today. You are amazing, and I miss you, and I will never, ever forget you.

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment