Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A Thank You to KOMO 4

Tuesday, December 31, 2013
7:52 a.m.
 

I can't imagine a happier workplace.

Yes, that's how good KOMO has been to me. Every Wednesday and Friday this quarter, I looked forward to coming here. I knew I was going to have a great time with Steve Pool, and Shannon O'Donnell, and I did have a great time... greater than I could have ever imagined. But I didn't know I'd be developing relationships with Dan Lewis, Connie Thompson, and many of the other employees you see both on tv and behind the scenes. Yesterday, I got a lecture from one of the employees letting me know that I had stood behind anchor Molly Shen during the 4 p.m. show and the camera was catching me staring at her. One time, I realized two minutes before one of the main five or six o'clock weather segments started that I hadn't loaded the show up for Steve, and by the time he was on air, the show still wasn't completely loaded and he had to improvise. About halfway through his cut, the show fully loaded and he was able to run through it. He gave me a lecture, not a stern one though, and just laughed it off. You gotta screw up to learn how not to screw up, right?

I can have another quarter here, but I have to make way for the interns that are seniors. Remember, I'm only a junior. The minimum class standing for interns here is junior status, so I buzzed right in here as soon as I could. So I'm done for the rest of this year in order to let these seniors get a chance to do what I did. I'm definitely going to look into seeing if I can do other work here though that doesn't interfere with other interns (for example, on weekends) and I'm going to see if I can do anything with other stations. The tv meteorologists all know each other and Shannon used to work for KING, so maybe we can figure something out. It's always good to expose yourself to a variety of environments.

One thing's for sure though. I had the time of my life here. I'm still not sure if I want to be a tv meteorologist, but I'm more inclined to than before. Also, I shared a misconception that I think is held by much of the general population; that tv meteorologists are just pretty faces that don't know anything about the atmosphere. NOT TRUE. Steve doesn't have an atmospheric science degree, but he knows his stuff. Shannon has a degree, and she REALLY knows her stuff. These are real forecasters and real meteorologists. They are not reading off a teleprompter... everything is improvised. You have to know what you are talking about in order to do that.

I came in early today... 5:20 a.m. early... to work with Seth Wayne, the morning forecaster, and like Shannon vs. Steve, he has his own way about doing things, but just like both of them, he is incredibly nice and professional. It was a joy working with him this morning.

I can see why Steve has been KOMO's lead forecaster since 1984. This is a place where I feel comfortable. I don't want to leave, but at the same time, I'm gracious for the opportunity I was given, and I'm stoked, yes, STOKED, that others will get the same chance as me. It's just awesome. There's nothing like it.

If you want to go to KOMO or get a tour, contact me. I can hook you up.

Thank you so much everybody! Mom, dad, everybody at KOMO, all my friends for reading my blogs, it's been fantastic. I'll see you sometime soon!

Charlie =D

No comments:

Post a Comment