Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Back From Camp!

Tuesday, August 19, 201411:26 a.m.

Hidden Valley Camp - 2003. 
Hidden Valley Camp - 2014.

It's really surreal how time flies. At least I can take solace in the fact that I'm still just as much of a goofball now as I was back then.

This was my 8th summer up at HVC. I was a camper from 2003-2008, then a "camper leader" in 2010. This summer was my first summer on staff. When I was a camper, the only staff job I could ever imagine having was a group counselor, but I'm very happy to have had a job in the kitchen this year. I learned a ton from the man in charge, Steve Stimpson, most notably how to manage my time effectively. I know I will take the lessons I learned from him with me for the rest of my life. I'm also now extremely good at baking for 170+ people. I've got some work to do as far as baking for one person goes though.

Now that I'm back, I've got some serious work to do. I've got a saxophone solo to transcribe, I've got meteorology internships to look into, and of course I've got weather blogs to write. My weather blog productivity will soar in the upcoming days.

Before I sign out for now though and continue to unpack, I'd like to emphasize how amazing this experience was. If you have kids and are interested in sending them to summer camp, definitely check out HVC. And if you are my age +- several years and looking for a summer job that may be the most rewarding experience of your life, talk to me or email the camp director (he's awesome) directly at hiddenvalleycamp@earthlink.net.

It's good to be back!
Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment